20 January 2011 Last updated at 12:23 GMT
South Korea agrees military talks with North Relations between North and South Korea
South Korea has agreed to hold high-level military talks with the North, officials say, in a move that could ease tension on the peninsula.
The North's army minister proposed the talks earlier in a telegram to his southern counterpart.
It comes after months of tension over the sinking of a southern warship last March, and the North's shelling of a southern island in November.
On Wednesday, the US and China urged the two sides to reopen talks.
Officials at the South's defence ministry said the North had made its latest offer of talks in a telegram sent to southern Defence Minister Kim Kwan-jin, signed by the North's Armed Forces Minister Kim Young-chun.
The North had made several offers of talks earlier this month, but they were all dismissed by Seoul.
The South's Unification Ministry restated on Thursday that the North must "take responsible measures" over the shelling of Yeonpyeong island and the sinking of the Cheonan warship before talks could begin.
But Pyongyang has always denied torpedoing the warship, and says it was provoked into shelling the island.
On Wednesday, China's President Hu Jintao and US President Barack Obama released a joint statement urging Korean dialogue after a meeting in Washington.
"The United States and China emphasised the importance of an improvement in North-South relations, and agreed that sincere and constructive inter-Korean dialogue is an essential step," the two leaders said.
And the North's state-run news agency KCNA called for the US to reopen talks with Pyongyang.
"The US would be well advised to re-examine its hostile policy towards the DPRK [North Korea] and make a U-turn towards dialogue and fence-mending," its report said.
The US is among the countries involved in talks over the North's nuclear programme.
Pyongyang pulled out of the talks in April 2009, shortly before conducting a nuclear test.
Southern defence officials said on Thursday that they would propose to Pyongyang reopening dialogue on denuclearisation.
Relations between the two Koreas plunged to new lows after the South's Cheonan warship was sunk in March, with the loss of 46 lives.
An international report later blamed the North for the sinking - allegations denied by Pyongyang.
On 23 November, the North killed four people when it shelled Yeonpyeong island - its first attack on a civilian area since the 1950-53 war ended.
The South responded with a series of military exercises close to the border.
歡迎會員在此言論自由論壇發表任何題材評論文章。題材跨越地域界限, 希望全球各地會員就當地發生的事與物, 踴躍發表你的評論。讓全球每個角落會員都能分享你言而有物、高水平的評論。會員發表的評論文章屬個人意見, 不代表本網站立場。
1 篇文章 • 第 1 頁 (共 1 頁)
正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者：ermatl16 和 16 位訪客